Innovation is positioning African agricultural systems for a productive and sustainable future. In light of this transformation process, the International Fertilizer Association (IFA) and Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) today launched the Africa Agtech Startup Showcase.
This international contest is open to entrepreneurs offering innovative responses to the challenges facing African agriculture to showcase their solutions to the plant nutrition industry. The IFA and UM6P judges will evaluate applications based on the competition criteria including impact, innovation and applicability to African smallholder farmers. Final selection will take place in May 2023 at the IFA Annual Conference, the largest gathering of the fertilizer industry, and the winning startup will receive a €20,000 prize.
“The International Fertilizer Association created the Smart&Green platform in 2021 to bridge the AgTech ecosystem and providers of plant nutrition solutions. As a next step, we are partnering with UM6P to help connect entrepreneurs with potential partners and investors through the Africa AgTech startup showcase. And all of this to ultimately help feed the world sustainably,” said Alzbeta Klein, IFA CEO/Director General.
“We are pleased to partner with IFA to develop the Africa Agtech Startup Showcase. This initiative stems from our unwavering commitment to stimulate innovation and entrepreneurship on the African continent and contribute to its inclusive and green development across all areas of activity, including agriculture,” added Hicham El Habti, President of Mohammed VI Polytechnic University.
Startups from around the world are invited to apply online in one of the following five categories:
- Soil health and plant nutrition solutions to protect and improve soil fertility as well as adaptive mechanisms for nutrient release and plant uptake.
- Advisory and information services for farmers to improve crop yield and quality as well as farm profitability.
- Market access solutions that enable African smallholder farmers to reach off-takers or end consumers as well as suppliers of seeds, fertilizers, equipment and crop protection products.
- Supply chain services for farmers, agribusinesses and cooperatives to better manage their relationships.
- Financial services for African smallholder farmers, including savings, payments, credit, insurance and crowdfunding services.
Deadline to apply is November 30, 2022. For more details, visit the following link: https://tinyurl.com/mw9x9mt8
About the International Fertilizer Association. The International Fertilizer Association (IFA) was founded in 1927 and is the only global fertilizer association, with some 400 members in 70 countries and a mission to promote the efficient and responsible production, distribution and use of plant nutrients. This mission plays a critical role in helping to feed the world sustainably. IFA represents providers of plant nutrition solutions. Members include fertilizer producers, traders and distributors, as well as their associations, service providers to the industry, research organizations, ag-tech startups and non-governmental organizations.