We are committed to the development of sporting excellence at the University. In 2022 we awarded over 160 first year sport scholarships.
The application for a Sports Scholarship at Maynooth University closes on April 1st 2023. You will need your CAO number (i.e. 23******) to complete your Sport Scholarship application.
Link to Apply
You are welcome to contact the Sports Development Officers at any stage in the year for more details about applying.
- Scholarships are awarded to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Scholarship funding assists students with sports and university-related expenses (e.g. sporting equipment, travel costs associated with sport) and aims to free up time from part-time work commitments.
Benefits of the Maynooth University sport scholarship programme
Scholarships are awarded to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Financial bursary: scholarship funding assists students with sports and university-related expenses (e.g. sporting equipment, travel costs associated with sport) and its purpose is to free up time from part-time work commitments for our scholars.
- Concession of up to 60 CAO points if required: scholars must meet minimum entry requirements for their chosen degree. Other minimum requirements apply. For MH001/MH002 Education – Primary Teaching, a limited number of places is available for the 60 points concession. No limit on places applies to other degrees however. Click here for details of all entry requirements.
- Priority on-campus accommodation in first year (allocation of accommodation places at discretion of Development Officers). Normal fees apply to scholars.
- Access to expert coaching and fitness training
- Sports psychology and time management workshops
- Health and nutrition advice
- Performance analysis
- Ongoing academic support
- Goal setting, performance planning and career advice
- Individual functional health screening leading to fitness, strength and conditioning programmes
- Access to top level coaches and playing facilities
- Free gym membership
- Access to cardiovascular fitness suite and free weights gym
- Medical and physiotherapy support
- Fitness testing and analysis
Eligibility and renewal requirements
- Scholarships are reserved for students who have reached, or have the potential to reach a very high level of performance, competing at one or a combination of international, national, inter-provincial and inter-county level.
Leaving Certificate applicants:
- Required to meet the normal matriculation/minimum entry requirements and any special course requirements;
- May receive up to 60 CAO points to assist in bridging any points shortfall for admission to preferred level 8 degree. Sport scholarship applicants must achieve at least 300 points in their best six Leaving Certificate subjects.
- Minimum requirement of full award (8 modules) with 5 distinctions in a linked award. The maths requirement for specific degrees may be satisfied by having the grade in the Leaving Certificate, GC(S)E or other school leaving examinations or by attaining a distinction in maths or statistics module in the QQI award.
- Considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Scholarships are renewed on an annual basis subject to certain conditions being met. Scholars must:
- Maintain a satisfactory level of academic achievement
- Maintain an impressive record of sporting achievement
- Take an active role in the relevant sports club within Maynooth University
- Compete on behalf of Maynooth University at inter varsity competitions
- Visit schools or participate in Open Days to discuss sporting talent and opportunities at Maynooth University
- Remain in good standing with the University
- In the event of a student terminating a sports scholarship agreement, he or she shall not be eligible for a Maynooth University sports scholarship for the remainder of that year and the subsequent academic year
Website link: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/scholarships/sport-scholarships
Nora Cebotarev Memorial Graduate Scholarship
MU SUMMER INCLUSIVITY SCHOLARSHIPS