Effective May 1, 2019 (spring 2019 admissions cycle), the International Master’s Award of Excellence, valued at $2,500 per term for a maximum of five full-time terms within the allowable program time limits (6 terms), will be awarded to eligible international master’s students normally entering a research-based graduate program at the University of Waterloo. Faculties will nominate eligible students based on the Faculty’s award allocation. Students will be selected based on academic excellence as demonstrated through their application for admission to the graduate program.
Award valued at $2,500 per term for a maximum of five terms.
Eligibility & selection criteria:
- International students who are registered full time and assessed international tuition fees.
- Normally given to students in research-based programs (thesis or major research paper).
- Will normally only be given to students entering the first term of their program (term 1.0).
- Students must demonstrate academic excellence through criteria established by the Faculty.
- Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program and not have outstanding probationary admission requirements.
- This award could be in addition to other internal or external scholarships (e.g., UW Graduate Scholarship, OGS, etc). Note: scholarships are different than sponsorships – see next bullet.
- Normally, students should not be concurrently receiving foreign government or agency sponsorship (e.g., China Scholarship Council, Libyan sponsorship, etc) or be fully or partially self-funded in excess of the Faculty minimum levels of support.
- Students grandparented under the existing IMSA program cannot be nominated for an IMAE; however, a student previously awarded an IMSA for a previously completed master’s degree can be nominated for an IMAE.
- Students will be automatically considered for this award based on their application for admission. Departments and/or Faculty will define their own internal process by which they select recipients based on the eligibility criteria and allocation.
- Faculties may impose stricter eligibility criteria as appropriate.
For information regarding international funding programs, please visit the Graduate Studies International Funding webpage.
Open to any program
International/study permit student
Student selected automatically by Faculty/Department
Winter, Spring, Fall
- For further information about this award please contact the applicable:
Website link: https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies-postdoctoral-affairs/awards/international-masters-award-excellence-imae
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, Canada
The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders (for International Students)
University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship, Canada
Alexander David McKenzie Scholarship, Canada
Alectra Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Undergraduate Scholarship, Canada