ETH4D provides grants for mentoring doctoral candidates from low- and lower-middle-income countries. The mentorship is a one-year appointment and comprises the following components:
- Mentorship from one ETH professor, senior scientist or postdoc over a period of one year of the mentee’s doctoral studies. We suggest monthly meetings and clearly defined goals of the project, e.g., presentation at a conference, joint publication. ETH mentors are free to serve on the doctoral committee of the ETH4D mentee, but this is not a requirement.
- Research stay at the mentor’s research group (ETH Zurich, Switzerland) for 1-3 months during the mentorship period.
- Financial support for attending a conference and/or research material
More information can be found in the DownloadETH4D Doctoral Mentorship Programme Criteria document (PDF, 184 KB).
There are four application deadlines per year: 30 April, 30 June, 31 October and 31 December.
Next application deadline is 31 October 2022
Grant and application information:
Tabs. Use the arrow keys to navigate to entries, then Enter to select the tab. To reach the content inside the tab, use tab and shift-tab.
The grant covers expenses up to a maximum of 15k CHF and includes the following:
- Economy roundtrip ticket (max. 2 kCHF) to and from Switzerland for the research stay
- Visa fees
- Travel allowance to attend an academic conference
- Research material (e.g. lab equipment) (max 6 kCHF in total).
- Fees for health insurance
- Local transportation
- Living allowance for the duration of the research stay at ETH Zurich
Website link: https://eth4d.ethz.ch/funding-opportunities/ETH4D-exchange-grants/ETH4D-doctoral-mentorship-programme.html