ewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Important: Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2023. If you are not selected as the 2023 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2023-2024 academic year are U.S.$73,802.
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2021.
AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2023. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2023.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2023.
Very Important: The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process by December 15, 2022.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application; the application will be available September 1, 2022.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2022 at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly to American University Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2022, or by January 15, 2023 at the latest. Please note that preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$73,802). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$73,802 (estimated costs for first year of study).
Zoom interviews and additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Website link: https://www.american.edu/admissions/international/au-egls-apply.cfm
Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students (Netherlands)
International Master’s Award of Excellence (IMAE), Canada
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, Canada
The University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship for World Leaders (for International Students)